Thursday, September 11, 2008

The New Romantic

Since I was a little girl I've been obsessed with the 19th century, which includes both the Victorian period and the Regency period. But being an American girl I wasn't just in love with the Regency period, I was in love with the Federalist style. I was in love with a new America and its desire for passion and industry.  At the time I wish that we still dressed the same, with ruffles and lace for everyone. 

So imagine how stoked I was at eight years old (the same time I was reading Pride and Prejudice) when I first saw Adam Ant.  The Prince Charming video was so incredibly awesome. It was then that I steeped myself in the ideas of New Romanticism which by then had gone out of style. My grandmother kept her ruffle shirts though, and in high school, a decade too late, I was wearing big black boots over jeans and a ruffle shirt. This only got me nicknamed the Hessian. I wore velvets and bolero jackets all vintage from my grandmother's closet. I couldn't help it.  Despite the occasional ridicule I kept in mind the lines from Adam Ant's song Prince Charming:

Prince charming
Prince charming
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of
Don't you ever, 
don't you ever 
Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome

The mix of punk and lace to me is really a beautiful convention. Here at The Violentbelle, paradox and being two people in one body is a beautiful thing. Being able to celebrate all of you is a beautiful thing, and so mixing elements of a gritty social movement with Federalism and Regency (which seem total opposites) is what I consider one of the best fashion ideas ever. 

So because I do love collections the Mesdames X collection will be launching this afternoon. It is all hand sewn, with vintage supplies(even the needles!). Here's a sneak peek at the Prince Charming cuff.  Done with a vintage zipper, buttons, and lace. Even the hooks and eyes are vintage.  

Kinda awesome right? I hope so. Last night produced a slew of chokers, cuffs, and maybe today I'll bring out the headbands. 

Rock on lovelies, in all your leather and lace!

No comments: